This is Orientation and Overview Outline. I pass out paper with just the questions and give them fifteen minutes to look up the answers in the Bible. The next week I review by passing out the answers.
Church Organization &LeadersFrom the Bible
God is not the author of confusion 1 Corinthians 14:32 All things decently and in order 1 Corinthians 14:40 Five fold ministry gifts from Ephesians 4:11 = equip the saints for the work of ministry TITLES:· Apostles· Prophets from God to man vs. Priests from man to God. · Evangelists – bearer of the good news· Pastors – shepherds· Teachers – impart information Paul meeting with the elders at Emphasis Acts 20:17 -20:38 Ordain elders in every city Acts 14:23 Set things in order – Titus 1:5 Pastor – Shepherd Preacher – to expound, exhort, rebuke, remind, teach Minister – to serve Deacon – to serve First deacons Acts 6:2 – 6:6 Elder, Presbyter, Overseer, Bishop Feed the sheep – teach How about trustees? – Term derived by the State for representatives/liaisons between the church and the State. Choosing Matthias to take Judas place Acts 1:18 – 1:26 Jerusalem discussion about circumcision Acts15:6 ff Shepherds feed with knowledge and understanding Jeremiah 3:15 Elders – kind of a man 1 Timothy 3:1-13 – Titus 1:5-9 Deacons – kind of a man 1 Timothy 3:8-13 (already read) This is a bear bones outline with the intent to make applications that are applicable to the local church. Ezekiel 34:1-19Prophesy against the shepherds
“The word of the LORD came to me: “Son of man, prophesy against the shepherds of Israel; prophesy and say to them: ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Woe to the shepherds of Israel who only take care of themselves! Should not shepherds take care of the flock? You eat the curds, clothe yourselves with the wool and slaughter the choice animals, but you do not take care of the flock. You have not strengthened the weak or healed the sick or bound up the injured. You have not brought back the strays or searched for the lost. You have ruled them harshly and brutally. So they were scattered because there was no shepherd, and when they were scattered they became food for all the wild animals. My sheep wandered over all the mountains and on every high hill. They were scattered over the whole earth, and no one searched or looked for them. “‘Therefore, you shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, because my flock lacks a shepherd and so has been plundered and has become food for all the wild animals, and because my shepherds did not search for my flock but cared for themselves rather than for my flock, therefore, O shepherds, hear the word of the LORD: This is what the Sovereign LORD says: I am against the shepherds and will hold them accountable for my flock. I will remove them from tending the flock so that the shepherds can no longer feed themselves. I will rescue my flock from their mouths, and it will no longer be food for them.”
God Delegates Jobs
God’s work is t a s k oriented. He provides help, gifts and tools for every Christian and every job. Each one’s needed, special and important. Not a question of who’s most important on God’s team. But a team working together.
1. The Father has a particular work. He gave His Son.
2. The Son has a special work. He gave His life.
3. The Holy Spirit has a special work. He teaches comforts and convicts.
4. The angels have a special work. They are messengers for God.
5. The prophets had a special work. They represented God to man.
6. The priests had a special work. They represented man to God.
7. The kings had a special work. Rule the people.
8. The apostles had a special work. Get the church started.
9. The preacher has a special work. Preach the Word.
10. The elders have a special work. Feed the flock. (Teach)
11. The deacons (or ministry leaders) have a special work. Help the preachers, elders, teachers and staff.
12. The evangelists have a special work. Preach and teach the Good News.
13. The teachers have a special work. Teach the Word.
14. Men have a special work. Lead in the home.
15. Women have a special work. Older women teach the younger women.
16. Every Christian has a special work, depending on their spiritual gift. Feed means t e a c h In Jeremiah 3:15 God says that feeding is teaching. “And I will give you pastors (Or elders.) according to my heart, which shall f e e d y o u w i t h k n o w l e d g e a n d
u n d e r s t a n d I n g”
In Acts 20:28 Paul say to the Ephesian elders, “feed the church of God,” Jesus repeated three times to Peter, “Feed my sheep.”
Ezekiel 34 God instructs the shepherds to feed my sheep.
Different titles & emphasis – same function Acts 20:17-35 gives three different titles referring to the same function: Elders, Overseers and shepherds
- Presbyter – the Greek word for elder. This refers to the age, or more importantly, the spiritual maturity of the man. No exact age is given in the Bible. The emphasis is a mature Christian, familiar with the Word of God.
- Bishop – has the same meaning as overseer. Meaning a kind of superintendent. Aware of spiritual strengths and weaknesses. Strengths that are spiritual gifts to be used in building up the body of Christ and weaknesses that are spiritual needs, met through the teaching of Scripture.
- Shepherd and pastor have the same meaning. The emphasis is to feed/teach, protect and lead the flock, the church.
REMEMBER WHAT THE WORK OF THE CHUCH IS?