Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it.” (Proverbs 22: 6) Struggling to instill spiritual values in your kids? Here are a few things from an article I found from Focus on the Family to keep in mind as you approach this critical task:
- “Make sure you know what you believe and why. Without a clear understanding of your own beliefs about God and your relationship with Him, you won’t be able to pass along anything to anyone.”
- “Are you and your spouse on the same page spiritually? Communicating regularly about your individual and mutual spiritual journeys is vital if you want to give your kids the gift of a vibrant spiritual heritage.”
- “Immerse your family in Scripture. In addition to your own personal study, read with your kids, and help them gain a love for the Bible.”
- “Pray regularly for each of your children. Acknowledge your lack of control over their physical and spiritual future, and your dependence upon the One who holds it in His hands which is the beginning of parenting wisdom.”
- “Stay flexible and open to the daily guidance of God’s Spirit. There’s no “one size fits all” approach to raising children to love the Lord.”
That is some great advice. And here is some more which happens to come from the best manual available when it comes to parenting. “The Lord our God, the Lord is one. You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your might. And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart. You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise. You shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes. You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates.” (Deuteronomy 6:4-9)
Parents, grandparents, anyone that has a role in preparing children for adulthood I can think of no better way to “go” for both you and the children than the way the Lord has revealed in the Bible.